Providing design engineers with the industry's widest range of wire-bondable resistive devices, TT electronics IRC Advanced Film Division has developed a comprehensive range of surface mount wire bondable devices. Designated the WBC Series, the family consists of resistors, network arrays, capacitors, multi-tap chip resistors, and divider networks on silicon and ceramic (see the Figure).
According to Debasis Roy, thin film business unit director for IRC Advanced Film Division, IRC has its own complete in-house silicon production capabilities. "While most manufacturers produce devices on either silicon or ceramic, IRC manufactures both," said Dr. Roy. "The products in our wire bondable family are produced on both silicon and ceramic, allowing customers to select the technology that is ideal for their application."
The wire bondable product offering includes:
- WBA Series of TaNFilm precision ceramic resistors, with a resistance range of 10 Ω to 20 KΩ;
- WBC Series of TaNSil precision silicon resistors, with a resistance range of 10 Ω to 1 MΩ and TRC tracking to ±2 ppm/°C;
- WBC-CR Series of Chromaxx precision high range silicon resistors, with a resistance range of 1.01 MΩ to 2 MΩ, absolute tolerance to ±1% (ratio tolerance to ±0.5%), absolute TCRs to ±100 ppm/°C, and TRC tracking to ±5 ppm/°C;
- WBC-Divider Series of TaNSil precision silicon voltage divider networks, with a resistance range of 10 Ω to 1 MΩ and TRC tracking to ±2 ppm/°C;
- WBD-NET Series of TaNSil silicon resistor network arrays, with a resistance range of 10 Ω to 2.5 MΩ;
- WBC-CAP Series of TaNCap wire bondable chip capacitors, with capacitance range from 10 pF to 1000 pF and absolute tolerance to ±0.5%;
- WBC-RC Series of TaNSil chip resistors and capacitor circuits, with capacitance range from 47pF to 80pF and resistance range from 33 Ω to 100 Ω, absolute resistor tolerance to ±10% and absolute capacitance tolerance to ±20%;
- WBC-Multi-tap Series of TaNSil silicon multi-tap chip resistor networks, with resistance range from 100 Ω to 80 KΩ, and absolute tolerance to ±5%.
Unless otherwise noted, the devices in the wire bondable family feature absolute tolerance to ±0.1% (ratio tolerance to ±0.05%), absolute TCRs to ±25 ppm/°C, and TCR tracking to ±5 ppm/°C.
Due to their small size (some are 20mil2) and stability, the wire bondable devices are being specified for use in hybrid modules, as well as for applications involving implantable medical electronics and other battery-operated miniature devices.
IRC's proprietary TaNFilm and TaNSil processes produce an ultra-stable self-passivating tantalum nitride resistance element that provides exceptional stability, power dissipation and precision.
Pricing for the wire bondable resistors, capacitors, divider networks, and network arrays ranges from $0.80 to $5.00, depending on device, in quantities of 1,000 pieces. Lead time is from stock to 14 weeks.