Confidently Calculate Rectifier Input Capacitors

March 17, 2005
A rectifier input capacitor's size is often considered nebulous. Therefore, common practice is to pick a large size, and if the ripple voltage is low enough, all is okay (see the figure, a). If not, it can be increased in size. Other attempts someti

A rectifier input capacitor's size is often considered nebulous. Therefore, common practice is to pick a large size, and if the ripple voltage is low enough, all is okay (see the figure, a). If not, it can be increased in size. Other attempts sometimes calculate percent ripple, which I consider a largely useless term because we tend to visualize the waveform as an oscilloscope sees it—a sawtooth waveform with the limit being the minimum capacitor voltage.

When I was in school, I derived this simple relationship for input-capacitor size that has been with me throughout my career. I have used it countless times and would like to share it with the readers:

C = 0.7(I)/ΔE(f)

where C = capacitance in farads, I = dc load current in amperes, ΔE = peak-to-peak ripple voltage, f = ripple frequency (generally 120 Hz for full-wave or 60 Hz for half-wave), and 0.7 is the complement of the rectifier-current duty cycle, which is assumed to be 0.3 (see the figure, b).

The equation is derived from the following basic relationships:

Q = CV    (charge = capacitance × voltage)
I = Q/T   (current = charge/time)
f = 1/T   (frequency = 1/period)

It assumes that the capacitor delivers the current to the load 70% of the cycle, while the rectifier delivers the current (and charges the capacitor) for the remaining 30%. Plugging in some numbers for a typical case:

I = 1 A
ΔE = 1 V
f = 120 Hz

results in a calculated C = 5833 µF.

Sponsored Recommendations

TTI Transportation Resource Center

April 8, 2024
From sensors to vehicle electrification, from design to production, on-board and off-board a TTI Transportation Specialist will help you keep moving into the future. TTI has been...

Cornell Dubilier: Push EV Charging to Higher Productivity and Lower Recharge Times

April 8, 2024
Optimized for high efficiency power inverter/converter level 3 EV charging systems, CDE capacitors offer high capacitance values, low inductance (< 5 nH), high ripple current ...

TTI Hybrid & Electric Vehicles Line Card

April 8, 2024
Components for Infrastructure, Connectivity and On-board Systems TTI stocks the premier electrical components that hybrid and electric vehicle manufacturers and suppliers need...

Bourns: Automotive-Grade Components for the Rough Road Ahead

April 8, 2024
The electronics needed for transportation today is getting increasingly more demanding and sophisticated, requiring not only high quality components but those that interface well...

Comments

To join the conversation, and become an exclusive member of Electronic Design, create an account today!